Infertility or vandhyatwa is the inability to have a viable child even after one year of regular unprotected intercourse. It can be primary infertility where a woman has never been pregnant or it can be secondary infertility where one had previous pregnancy with or without a live child. Infertility is considered as a result of impairment in four factors as per Ayurveda.
- Beeja : abnormalities in sperm and ovum
- Kshetra : healthy internal and external genital organs free from any congenital or acquired abnormalities
- Ritu : the proper time for conception ie,awareness of the fertility period
- Ambu : proper hormonal milieu and proper metabolism
Beeja : Disorders of Ovum and sperm can cause infertility
- Ovulatory factors of infertility: PCOD causing lesser ovulation or anovulation,Premature ovarian failure etc.
- Disorders of sperm : inadequate count,abnormal morphology,decreased motility etc
Kshetra dushti : any structural abnormalities of the uterus that can prevent implantation and proper development of the embryo.
Ambu : Any upset in the hormonal balance can lead to infertility
Ritu : Proper awareness of fertile period
CAUSES OF INFERTILITY
Ahara :improper dietary habits like excess use of poultry chicken and other fast food and junk foods adversely affect the hormonal balance in the body affecting fertility.
Vihara: sedentary lifestyle and tremendous stress and strain in the present day affects the mind and indirectly affects hormonal balance
Ayurveda has a holistic approach and we aim at curing the root cause rather than correcting the symptoms. The mind and body are considered while treatments are planned.
- Avoiding the causative factors is the first line of management.
- Proper selection of the medicines which are unique to each patient based on their body constitution.
- A complete detoxification is done to ensure that a healthy ovum and sperm is formed