It is a special treatment modality in Ayurveda where the patient is made to sit in medicated decoctions for a specified period of time. This comes under local treatment modalities and is commonly done for diseases of genito- urinary system in males and females, diseases of colon and rectum and also for low back ache, weakness and numbness of lower half of the body.
If the patient is found fit for the procedure, they are advised to void any urges. An initial oleation with the desired oil is done on the abdomen and back region for 5-10 minutes and the patient made to sit in the luke warm medicated decoction selected as per the condition of the patient by a qualified physician so that the region from the umbilicus is immersed in the medicated decoction which is taken in a sitz bath tub. The procedure is done for 10- 15 minutes.
After the procedure the patient is asked to lie in supine position for ten minutes and is then allowed to leave.
- Vaginal infections
- Mild degrees of uterine prolapse,cystocele,rectocele
- After delivery to regain the muscle tone
- Diseases of the colon like irritable bowel syndrome
- Low back ache
- Numbness of lower half of body
- In certain types of male sexual dysfunction
- Colic (e.g., intestinal, uterine, nephritic)
- Neuralgia (e.g., intestinal, ovarian, testicular)
- BPH (benign prostatic hypertrophy)
- Urinary incontinence
- Pelvic congestion
MODE OF ACTION
- Relaxation of the sphincter mechanism and spasm aids in relieving constipation and there by improvement in piles,fissure and fistula.
- Pelvic and abdominal organs receive reflex effects from spinal cord.
- It dilates the blood vessel and ensures proper assimilation of the active principles of the medicine.
- Direct effects according to the water temperature and duration of bath.