Myopia is a major public health problem pertaining to eye that entails substancial societal, personal, educational and economic impact.
Myopia, also known as near sightedness or short sightedness is a condition of the eye where the light that comes in does not directly focus on the retina but in front of it, causing the image that one sees when looking at a distant object to be out of focus, but in focus when looking at a near object.
WHAT HAPPENS IN MYOPIA?
- In myopia the patient may have blurry distant vision but good near vision.
- In high myopes even near vision will be affected as the objects have to be held very close to the eyes.
- On detailed examination of the eye, the optic nerve appears to be tilted. The macula may have pigmentary changes and sometimes subretinal haeamorhage.
- The retina in a myopic patient may be generally thin and on detailed examination of the periphery may find a retinal hole.
MYOPIA IN AYURVEDA
Ayurveda has beautifully explained about the diseases pertaining to eyes and the various treatments to enhance vision. The symptoms of Myopia are similar to Timira roga in Ayurveda. For treating eye diseases through ayurveda, the physician should first analyse the cause.
SEVERAL CAUSES FOR MYOPIA IN AYURVEDA
- misuse, overuse and disuse of the senses,
- Excessive intake of hot, spicey foods,
- looking at fine object to have deleterious effect on eyes
- excessive or deficient oil bath,
- drug addiction,
- heavy weight lifting,
- looking at illuminating objects,
- eye diseases as a complication of diabetes.
TREATMENTS THROUGH AYURVEDA
Ayurveda has dealt Myopia with the stages based on the symptoms. After analyzing the cause and stage of the disease the treatment will be imparted. It has been specifically mentioned that vision can be affected by systemic reasons. Hence Ayurveda will be treating myopia by imparting treatments and medicines for the whole body with special emphasis on the eyes. Initialy the treatments will be given to arrest the progression of the visual power and to arrest the changes in the retina. Later nourishing treatments to improve and sustain the vision will be provided.