Shiro taila dhara is a specialized Ayurvedic therapy used to treat various ailments like anxiety, depression, stress, all kinds of skin diseases(Psoriasis, Eczema, Leukoderma, Dermatitis, Pigmentation, Urticaria etc.), systemic diseases like diabetes, hypertension, thyroid disorders, various types of headaches like migraine, tension headache, etc., hair fall, dandruff, alopecia, neurological disorders like parkinsonism, paralysis, bell’s palsy, etc., insomnia, hormonal disorders like PCOD, male and female infertility.
“SHIRO” mean head, “TAILA” means medicated oil and “DHARA” means pouring. Shiro taila Dhara is a process in which medicated oil is poured over the forehead maintaining a specific height, rhythm and temperature, performed by two qualified therapist, which is being prescribed by an Ayurvedic consultant in a systematic way.
- It prevents head ache (shira shoola)
- It prevents baldness (khalityam)
- It prevents premature greying of hair (paalityam)
- It prevents hair fall (kasha prapatana)
- stabilises and fortifies ojus in the body (ojus is the essence of all the tissues formed as an end product of tissue formation, its normalcy in terms of quality and quantity points towards an established immunity(Ojo sthairyam)
- Soothes the nerves and improves blood circulation
- Removes stress, relaxes mind
- Improves neuro-muscular conduction
- Relaxes and rejuvenates the mind and senses(Paatavam indriyasya)
- Delays ageing(Jaraso maandhyam)
- Provides longevity of life(Chiram jeevitam)
- Controls and creates equilibrium in all the doshas(Nitaraam doshaan)
- Acts as an aphrodisiac(Vrishataa)
30 TO 40 MIN
The treatment duration depends on the consulting physician and the severity of the condition.
TREATMENT COURSE DURATION
7 days, 14 days, 21 days
The treatment course duration depends on the consulting physician and the severity of the condition.
MODE OF ACTION OF SHIRO TAILA DHARA
- The mode of action of Taila shiro dhara is attributed to the
- Therapeutic effects of the medicated oil which is used as a base of the medicine,
- Procedural effect of the process like Pressure, Rhythmic streaming,
- Local application of heat,
- Treatment timings
The movement the procedure starts the drug starts its action due to its Rhythmic streaming, pressure of the medicine and temperature, because of the increased temperature generated by the treatment, the vasodilatation happens and helps the medicine to penetrate through the follicular pores to the follicles and then to the dermis via the sebaceous glands, the permeability of the cell of the sebaceous glands is greater than that of granular layer of epidermis.(Lovett Evan’s physiology 11th edition)
The procedural effect helps in relaxation of the frontalis muscle which tends to normalize the entire body activity and achieves a decreased activity of sympathetic nervous system with lowering of heart rate, respiration, oxygen consumption, blood pressure, brain cortisones and adrenalin levels, muscle tension and probably increase in alpha brain waves.
The space between the two eye brows is the seat of pituitary and pineal gland (Agnya Chakra) Pituitary gland is one of the main gland of the endocrine system and exhibits its action on other organs.
- Skin diseases
- Degenerative eye disorders
- Neurological disorders
- Sexual disorders
- Tinnitus hearing loss
- Hair fall
Fever: As the temperature might increase during the therapy
Rhinitis: Severity of disease will increase
- Certain forms of cancer
- Severe sinusitis
- Certain cardiac problem
- Haemorrhagic disorders
- Acute illness
- Extreme fatigue